Adventures of a Free-From Clothbum Mum!

Cloth nappies, dairy-free living, reviews and parental ramblings!

And then there were four…

on January 26, 2016

Blogging has taken a back seat this year for one very good, squishy and cuddly reason. I’ve been pregnant for most of the time and it’s been an interesting ride. 

It’s been amazing to be pregnant again – something that we never thought would happen again, and I’ve been absolutely over the moon and very excited.  Every stage, every kick and movement have been savoured. 

However, over the past nine months, I’ve had Hyperemesis, bad SPD/PGP that left me temporarily disabled and off work and then several preterm labour scares from 29 weeks which have hospitalised me on five occasions (all 3-6 night stays).
So, as a result of the above, my consultant decided to induce me at 38 weeks.
 I got everything as ready as possible and went to bed the night before feeling, understandably, a little anxious. I had a natural, spontaneous waterbirth with our son, so an induction was the unknown…
Nature clearly had other ideas as I woke up at 5am on the morning of the induction as my waters had broken! Next thing I know, we’re zooming off to hospital! I then spent most of the day contracting irregularly, waters gushing, with the consultants telling me that I had until 5pm that night for spontaneous labour to happen or they’d intervene.

Nothing happened at all for a long time. I was getting really annoyed and impatient, so I got up from the hospital bed at 3.30pm and sat on a birthing ball. 

Suddenly, all hell broke loose. I was getting quite strong contractions and when the midwife checked me, I’d gone from 1cm to 4cm in a very short space of time.

They whisked me downstairs quickly into a wonderful water birthing room and started to fill up the pool. My contractions were still irregular but quite long and strong. But as soon as I got in the water, it all changed. Suddenly I was hit by a barrage of contractions they seemed to blend one into the next. They never stopped and it was incredibly intense. The water was amazing for my hips and I’d read up on which positions were best for me (although, to be honest, I just went with what felt right at the time) 

Then the need to push hit out of nowhere. I’d only been in established labour for just over an hour and this second stage lasted all of five minutes! Three very intense, slightly screams pushes later and our beautiful 8lb 10oz daughter was safely born! I got the waterbirth that I had desperately wanted and was absolutely elated! 

So – now there are four of us and we have a squishy new clothbum! 
Life is slowly starting to get into a vague kind of routine and I’m loving using all our little newborn cloth nappies again. It’s so rewarding to know that two babies have used them and saved so much waste from going to landfill. 

I’ve got a few new nappies too that I’ll be blogging about very soon. My favourite at the moment are the Close Parent Pop-in newborns. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: